Re: Help with apt-get upgrade

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 05:09:24PM +0530, Rishi wrote:
> So is this what it should be?
>
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib

Yes.  O, wait a minute.  No.  I would choose 'sarge' here instead of
'stable'.  For now it would be alright, but this avoids problems when
etch suddenly becomes the new stable.  So:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sarge main
deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib

But you may want to check if there are mirrors close to you to use
instead of ftp.debian.org, to take the load off that one.  See
http://www.debian.org/mirror/list

And I don't think having 'contrib' there does much good, though it
won't hurt I guess.  Packages in contrib are themselves free, but they
depend on a package in the non-free section.  Since you don't mention
the non-free section in your sources.list, those dependencies will not
be met, so having contrib there is not useful.  Either choose only
'main' at the end of those two lines or 'main contrib non-free'.

Public GnuPG key:  http://maurits.vanrees.org/var/gpgkey.asc
"It can seem like you're doing just fine,
but the creep's creeping into your mind." - Neal Morse