Re: suspend-to-ram/suspend-to-disk on a desktop computer

Matt Price wrote:
> I'm wondering what my best options are for getting my desktop to enter a
> suspend state.

The suspend2 kernel patches.

> Also I'd ideally like to have it wake up by itself in the middle of the
> night, do a bunch of chores (preferably including foldingm y laundry)
> and then go back to sleep.

Don't think swsusp2 will do that.  But your BIOS might.  If you have
wake-on-lan and a way to trigger it then that would work.

> The motherboard supports ACPI and there is a BIOS option that seems to
> switch something between S1 and S3, but I don't really know what that is.

The S1 through S4 are different power down states.

> I have been looking into the suspend kernel module and the suspend2
> kenrel patch but so far haven't had a lot of luck getting my patched
> kernels to boot (instead they panic very early).  I will keep trying
> with that but I'm wondering what solutions other folks have come up with
>  on the desktop power-management front.

I use swsusp2 on my laptop.  It works pretty well.

In experimental martin f. krafft is maintaining a set of kernel
patches.

  http://packages.debian.org/experimental/devel/kernel-patch-suspend2

Bob