Re: announcing the beginning of security support for testing

You may get the following error message and not know what it means:

    W: Couldn't stat source package list http://secure-testing.debian.net
    etch/security-updates/main Packages
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/secure-testing.debian.net_debian-secure-testing_dists_etch_security-updates_main_binary-i386_Packages)
    - stat (2 No such file or directory)
    W: You may want to update the package lists to correct these missing files
    W: GPG error: http://secure-testing.debian.net etch/security-updates
    Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the
    public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 946AA6E18722E71E
    W: You may want to update the package lists to correct these missing files

I didn't, but fortunately, I stumbled on an unrelated README this
morning and learned what was missing: apt-key.

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> The archive signing key that is used to sign the apt repository is
> included below and can also be downloaded from
> http://secure-testing-master.debian.net/ziyi-2005-7.asc

Since the use of apt-key is something that users do rarely if at all,
a reminder of what to do with that information would be welcome. And
that is:

1. Save the above key into a file, say, /tmp/debian.key.

2. Load the key with:

   sudo apt-key add /tmp/debian.key