acpi & other power-control questions for desktop

Hi folks,

I've moved my desktop home from work and among many other changes, I now
occasionally want the thing to power down.  Ideally, though, I'd like to avoid
having to reboot when I start back up again.  THe mainboard supports acpi, so I
at first figured sleep would be easy.  On my laptop, for instance -- which
supports apm, not acpi -- I just type 'apm -s' and voila, the machine turns off
(more or less -- some led lights remain on, so eventually the power gives out).

so I've tried the following:

echo [134] > /proc/acpi/sleep

these all have pretty much the same function:  the display shuts down, all
peripherals freeze, but the noise coming from my box remains at normal (high!
annoying!) levels, so I assume something is running.  Also I can't resume at all
-- the poweron button just starts up the normal boot process, after an
infinitely long disk check.

similar results for apm -s (which I read somewhere works for some acpi systems).

I've only seen one power-related message so far in /var/log/syslog:
kernel: apm: busy: Unable to enter requested state
kernel: apm: busy: Unable to enter requested state
apmd[1044]: Suspending now
... but of course then I couldn't restart....

so:  does acpi often not work on desktops?  Have I missed some basic principle?
 DO I require, as apparently one does for suspend2, a separate, additional swap
partition to make acpi work?  Doesn't anyone else out there want to sometimes
shut their desktops doewn without having to reboot the nextt ime they want to
write an email?

Anyway, as always htanks,

Matt