Re-install Debian Sarge

I am extremely new to Linux (first time). I installed Debian Sarge on a stand alone PC as the only operating system on that PC. Since the PC wasn't connected to the internet, the install didn't configure a connection. Additionally, I mis-understood some of the install instructions, and neglected to install the security files. I would like to reinstall.

I believe I should first procure a NIC, and plug it into my router. Does it matter which NIC? Are there any problems with using a wireless NIC? In order to reinstall, are there files that should be renamed so I don't get a half done job?

TIA,
LeRoy