Concerning make-kpkg --append-to-version

I have been trying various configurations building LINUX-SOURCE-2.6.12 using make-kpkg.
To minimize avoidable errors, I run the whole make from a bash script.

If I use --append-to-version "x6+p0c40" for example, the first build is fine. However, the appended codes get written into '.config' If I then re-run the script (having corrected something), the make-kpkg apparently concatenates the value in '.config' with my value and gives me a horror "2.6.12x6+p0c40x6+p0c40" -- which is in any case too long for LILO to accomodate (it is also incorrect). If, on the other hand, I manually enter my code in '.config' and do NOT use the --append-to-version option, make-kpkg goes through the make process but then declares:

usr/bin/make -f /usr/share/kernel-package/rules real_stamp_image
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.12_2.6.12-6'
The UTS Release version in include/linux/version.h 2.6.12x6+p0c40 does not match current version 2.6.12, reconfiguring.

It apparently proceeds to REMOVE the appended "brand" from the version code. At least it isn't in the .deb file name any more.

Do I have to forcably get rid of the header line in '.config' where the LocalVersion appears? I am already removing 'include/linux/version.h' (and debian/official) before building. Are there other places where I need to remove remnants of the code?

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.