Re: Re-install Debian Sarge

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 06:45:24PM -0700, LeRoy Zacher wrote:
> I am extremely new to Linux (first time).  I installed Debian Sarge on a stand
> alone PC as the only operating system on that PC.  Since the PC wasn't
> connected to the internet, the install didn't configure a connection.
> Additionally, I mis-understood some of the install instructions, and neglected
> to install the security files.  I would like to reinstall.

Re-installing is a Windows-type approach.  With the possible exception
of a hard drive failure or a system compromise, there should never be a
need to re-install.

> I believe I should first procure a NIC, and plug it into my router.  Does it
> matter which NIC?  Are there any problems with using a wireless NIC?  In order
> to reinstall, are there files that should be renamed so I don't get a half done
> job?

The best supported NICs in Linux are probably 3Com.  I would go with one
of those.  Once you get it, you can plug it in, load the module and
configure the network.  It should be very straight forward.

As far as adding the security updates, you can simply edit your
/etc/apt/sources.list and add these lines:

deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free

Of course, you need to be connected to the internet for them to work.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto