Re: apache2 vs. apache-perl

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 19:55 +0000, Daniel McBrearty wrote:
> Any idea what the essential differences are betwen installing these 2 debian
> packages? I have used apache-perl without too many hitches on my home machine,
> my new server came with apache2 preinstalled.
>
> I'm wondering whether this will cause me extra work in deploying my project, and
> hence whether to go to the trouble of removing 2 and replaicing with perl.

Well, I just went through a similar path. Everything works fine as long
as you install the apache2 optional modules.

Also, if indeed this is Debian you have installed on the new machine,
there are quite a few things that have changed for the better on the
config side of things.

First off the config is now "modular" you can enable and disable things
bey adding and removing soft symbolic links. This include an addition I
made to have multiple websites enabled or not. I have multiple
webhosting going on and I have now moved all "user" configs into
$HOMEDIR/etc/[apache2|bind|<insert package name>] and doing includes on
them automagically.

The only tricky part is the selection of the proper Apache2 MPM server.

For Perl and other interpreted languages, you want apache2-mpm-prefork
being the traditional operational model that Apache 1.3.x had. Reason
being, most interpreted languages are poorly supported in other modes.

Those modes are:
        apache2-mpm-perchild - experimental high speed perchild
        		       threaded model for Apache2
        apache2-mpm-worker   - high speed threaded model for Apache2

Pretty much you could just copy over the exisiting httpd config and
modify it for the new machine... but that is your choice.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing.