my first raid disaster on reboot :o( update

I'm getting confused again.

I installed Debian 3.1 onto two SCSI drives set up as raid1.

I also set-up the four ide drives, during installation and set them as

/dev/md7 using /dev/hda,/dev/hdc
/dev/md8 using /dev/hab,/dev/hdd

both ext3

they started, and sync'd

on reboot, md7 and md8 didn't auto start.

so i created them again with

mdadm -C /dev/md7 -l1 -n2 /dev/hda /dev/hdc

this stared rebuilding.

then i did the same for md8

mdadm -C /dev/md8 -l1 -n2 /dev/hdb /dev/hdd

then i did

mkfs.ext3 /dev/md7
mkfs.ext3 /dev/md8

I checked with Fdisk that they were all set as FD.

then i did

(i made a copy of the original mdadm.conf first.)

mdadm --detail -- scan > mdadm.conf

And on reboot only md0 would mount.

So i copied the original mdadm.conf back and rebooted, and all the raids
apart from md7 and md8 started.

I noticed at the top of the original mdadm.conf i had the following

DEVICE partitions

so i did

mdadm --detail -- scan > mdadm.conf

again, with md7 and md8 running and rebooted.

adding

DEVICE partitions

back to the top

The system booted up properly this time but again without md7 or md8, it did
its corrupt superblock or ext2 file system complaints.

But I'm getting confused,

because, on

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2002/12/05/RAID.html

which is where i got the

mdadm --detail -- scan > mdadm.conf

from,

the example he gives

DEVICE	/dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
ARRAY 	/dev/md0 level=raid0 num-devices=2
UUID=410a299e:4cdd535e:169d3df4:48b7144a

is the other way round in my mdadm.conf file, i have

ARRAY 	/dev/md0 level=raid0 num-devices=2
UUID=410a299e:4cdd535e:169d3df4:48b7144a
DEVICE	/dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1

Which way round should it be?

I have also read that a mdadm.conf file isn't really needed, but can be
helpful, if i hide me mdadm.conf file will the system boot with md7 and md8.

I do have those two raids in my fstab file at the end as

/dev/md7	/Cad100	ext3	defaults  0 2
/dev/md8	/Cad200	ext3	defaults  0 2

Can anybody help :o(

Ken