Re: eth1 (3com905B) question

Thanks Ron and Andrew ! - it worked - this is the start - this linux workstation is in private zone - my plan is to make this a gateway attached with public IP and route all internet traffic through this linux machine to my home LAN (pvt network: 192.168.x.x) ... lets see how far do i go ... very new to linux and with networking .... coming from software background -

Best,
Arsalan

On 9/7/05, Ron Peterson <rpeterso@mtholyoke.edu> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 03:26:43PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> Arsalan Lodhi wrote:
> >i guess not -- htis is what i've
> >
> >auto lo
> >iface lo inet loopback
> >
> ># The primary network interface
> >auto eth0
> >iface eth0 inet dhcp
> >
> >what should i add in ?

> You must have an entry for eth1 in /etc/network/interfaces for it to be
> activated.
>
> man interfaces
>
> is a good starting point. The entry will depend on what you are doing
> with that interface. That is, is it a fixed ip or using dhcp? do you
> want it to start automatically? or manually? etc etc etc.

You can use ifconfig to do this stuff manually also, but that can be a
pain.

Your eth0 setup shows what to put in the 'interfaces' file if you want
to use dhcp.  To assign a static address, you'd do something like:

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
   address 172.18.1.35
   netmask 255.255.0.0
   network 172.18.0.0
   broadcast 172.18.255.255
   gateway 172.18.100.1
   pre-up /usr/local/sbin/up-firewall.sh

The 'auto' line says to bring the interface up automatically at boot.
Comment that out if you want to bring the interface up/down manually,
e.g. 'ifup eth1'.

There's more here than you need; you'll want to chop the pre-up bit
unless you're familiar with how to set up an iptables script, for
example.

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager