Re: Exim4 + port forwarding

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 06:54:38PM -0700, James Vahn wrote:
> Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> > The problem is that all my requests to the smarthost's port 25 are
> > blocked.
>
> Meaning that this command does not produce a response?
>
>         telnet smarthost 25

Exactly. But I have ssh access to another computer, where it does give
a response. So, I have forwarded mail.isp.com:25 using ssh to
localhost:10025.

> "smarthost" being something like "mail.isp.com" or (better) their IP
> address. Will they give you an MX address? Become your own "smarthost"
> and deliver directly, a leaf off of their domain.

Out of the question. I am behind a firewall which lets me do internal
ssh, and browse the 'net and do FTP via proxy.

> > So, I try to ssh to another computer, forward the port 25 of that SMTP
> > server to port 10025 on my computer, and tell exim to use localhost and
> > port 10025 as the smart host; but exim refuses to relay the mail
> > through localhost, though it is actually a forwarded port.
>
> No no.. don't do that. I think you really want to forward 25 on yours to
> 25 on the other. What you have done is make your computer act as their
> server, and probably nothing is listening... Use telnet on 25 to see.

No! I have got mail.isp.com:25 to localhost:10025. So, *my* machine
has their mail server on port 10025. Now, all I want exim4 to do is
use localhost:10025 as the smart host, but it frowns at the word
*localhost*!

Thanks for patiently anwering my query, hope it's clear now. Now, can
you think of a solution?

Thanks again.

Kumar

--