Re: Help!

Hendrik Boom wrote:

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 03:17:11PM +0100, antgel wrote:
Jon Dowland wrote:
On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 07:48:53AM -0400, George Boyce wrote:

I'm not sure what to do from here! I typed in ENTER - no good. I tried
LOGON........still no good! Keeps
bringing me to  "username"@Debian1: ~$
Sorry, this reply doesn't answer your question (the others do):

We've had a lot of these queries recently. Does that suggest the
installation process needs to be adjusted slightly, to combat the
assumption a GUI environment is installed by default? Or should we be
pushing for people to read the installation docs before going ahead with
it?
I raised a bug on this after being in #debian for a while.  325655 if
you're interested.  It is incredible how many people don't read the
install guide or the Reference.  It's not as if one is installing a
little program to work with their mobile phone.  This is an OS, for
goodness' sake.

And as Debian goes on gaining ground against Microsoft, we're
going to have more and more people being confuse about this.
I'm not concerned about the few newbies who actually ask what's
wrong here.  I'm concerned about the ones who don't, give up, and go
back to Windows, thinking they are just not smart enough for free
software.
Which will probably be the case most of the time. But you know what? Windows isn't very easy to install for the "average user" either. Maybe Debian is a little bit more difficult, but not by much. Even Windows 2000 asks you about partitioning. If Debian is more difficult, it's probably in the number of options without an apparent "default install" for a new user to try.