Re: changing window managers

David Jardine <david@jardine.de> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 06:56:00PM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>> John L Fjellstad <john-debian@fjellstad.org> writes:
>>
>> > .xsession or .xinitrc
>> > Not sure what the difference between those two files are.
>>
>> .xinitrc is invoked by "xinit".  "startx" invokes "xinit".
>>
>> .xsession is read by xdm.  (And I think by other foodm programs, too,
>> such as kdm, gdm.)
>
> With no ?dm installed, with no ~/.initrc file, and with one word
> ("fvwm") in .xsession, things work for me (using startx).

Could you test your theory by renaming ~/.xsession to, say,
~/.HIDDEN.xsession, then starting a new X session?

There are other places than ~/.xinitrc that could have caused fvwm to
be invoked from startx, e.g. /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager.

[time passes]

Oh!  There is a file /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc which sources
/etc/X11/Xsession, which in turn sources ~/.xsession.  D'oh.  Fascinating.

Kai