Re: Is it safe to dist-upgrade kde* now?

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 12:43:39PM +1000, Brendon Lloyd Higgins wrote:

> Kim Adil wrote (Tuesday 06 September 2005 4:56 pm):
> > Subject says it all I think.  I and many others had to roll back, and I
> > was advised to hold back. How will I know when to proceed?
> From my experience, the answer is "nearly" or "almost". Some things still
> haven't been compiled on the new ABI and so will conflict. Most things,
> however, and the majority of the KDE packages, are ready.

I assume, rightly or wrongly, that it will be officially considered
ready when the metapackages, such as kde and kdecore, are upgraded to
depend on 3.4.2 instead of 3.3.2.

> A couple of days ago I bit the bullet and upgraded. I had to remove a number
> of packages that hadn't been updated yet, like superkaramba, lyx-qt, koffice,
> and kwin-baghira, among ~50 others. But for me, I think losing them (only
> temporarily, I expect) was worth it.

I now have a KDE 3.4.2 desktop with Konqueror, Konsole, KMail, KNode,
K3B, Kate, KSokoban, KPDF, KGPG and a few other things. The only
program I use regularly that's still unavailable to me is Rosegarden4,
which I expect will take some time yet.

If a package doesn't use the 3.3.2/3.4.2 version system, an easy way
to check whether it can be installed with KDE 3.4.2 is to see if it
still depends on kdelibs4. The upgraded packages depend on kdelibs4c2

> Most of the functional stuff is there and ready, but not all of it. Unless
> you're really eager to transition, like I was, it's probably best to wait
> until we're given the official "all clear", which, depending on how soon some
> maintainers get the rear into gear, may be a week or more, yet.
> Peace,
> Brendon
> PS: Many cheers to all the maintainers involved in pulling off this, and all
> the other simultaneous transitions so smoothly!

It's been a pleasure to watch the orderly way in which KDE 3.4.2 has
gone from "totally broken" to "almost completely functional" in just a
few days. Cheers indeed!

PJR :-)