Re: Is it safe to dist-upgrade kde* now?

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 12:43:39PM +1000, Brendon Lloyd Higgins wrote:

> Kim Adil wrote (Tuesday 06 September 2005 4:56 pm):
> > Subject says it all I think.  I and many others had to roll back, and I
> > was advised to hold back. How will I know when to proceed?
>
> From my experience, the answer is "nearly" or "almost". Some things still
> haven't been compiled on the new ABI and so will conflict. Most things,
> however, and the majority of the KDE packages, are ready.

I assume, rightly or wrongly, that it will be officially considered
ready when the metapackages, such as kde and kdecore, are upgraded to
depend on 3.4.2 instead of 3.3.2.

> A couple of days ago I bit the bullet and upgraded. I had to remove a number
> of packages that hadn't been updated yet, like superkaramba, lyx-qt, koffice,
> and kwin-baghira, among ~50 others. But for me, I think losing them (only
> temporarily, I expect) was worth it.

I now have a KDE 3.4.2 desktop with Konqueror, Konsole, KMail, KNode,
K3B, Kate, KSokoban, KPDF, KGPG and a few other things. The only
program I use regularly that's still unavailable to me is Rosegarden4,
which I expect will take some time yet.

If a package doesn't use the 3.3.2/3.4.2 version system, an easy way
to check whether it can be installed with KDE 3.4.2 is to see if it
still depends on kdelibs4. The upgraded packages depend on kdelibs4c2
instead.

> Most of the functional stuff is there and ready, but not all of it. Unless
> you're really eager to transition, like I was, it's probably best to wait
> until we're given the official "all clear", which, depending on how soon some
> maintainers get the rear into gear, may be a week or more, yet.
>
> Peace,
> Brendon
>
> PS: Many cheers to all the maintainers involved in pulling off this, and all
> the other simultaneous transitions so smoothly!

It's been a pleasure to watch the orderly way in which KDE 3.4.2 has
gone from "totally broken" to "almost completely functional" in just a
few days. Cheers indeed!

--
PJR :-)