unable to initialize modem (Siemes MC35)

Hi List,

I'm trying to get a Siemens MC35 Modem up and running.
wvdialconf found the modem but everytime wvdial tried to initialize the modem I got a "CME Error: 3" which stands for "Operation not allowed". Every other AT command results in a 258: "phone is busy". I connected to the serial port with minicom and got a 258 twice. After I waited long enough eventually I got a cpas: 0 (without doing anything!) which means the modem is ready. After this I was able to connect to the internet with minicom and wvdial.

I'm stuck. Does someone have a clue how to fix this issue? Or just an idea where to look next?

Many Thanks!
Marc