apt 0.6 not recognizing local repository

I created a local repository using apt-move on another partition to make space for all the dist-upgrades.  I used 'apt-get clean' to empty /var/cache/apt/archives.  I added the file: into my sources list.  Now, when I do 'apt-get --allow-unauthenticated update', I get these error messages:

Ign file: unstable Release.gpg
Ign file: unstable/local Packages
Get:1 file: unstable Release [1186B]
Ign file: unstable/main Packages
Ign file: unstable/contrib Packages
Ign file: unstable/non-free Packages

and when I do 'apt-get --allow-unauthenticated -d dist-upgrade', it starts downloading all the files in my local repository again.

I read the man pages for apt-move and realize without a gpg key that apt-move is supposed to have unzipped Packages files, and did this.

And, I'm using the --allow-unauthenticed option with my apt-get commands.

What am I missing?

golfbuf