Re: X won't start after kernel compile

   Hi Jaime and Simo,
I happen to be more stupid than I previously thought. My mouse is a serial. I had disabled serial stuff on .config. Now, recompiled and 2.12-5 is working ok with X. That's actually the first time I try to compile kernels. Funny thing to do. Do you guys know any literature that can be recommended for a newb on compiling-kernel (debian way)? I don't know exactly how I access kernel efficiency. How much of an improvement am I supposed to experience by compiling custom kernels? How do I benchmark it? What I noticed so far is: the image vmlinuz 2.12 is 1.290.903kb and k7 (stock kernel) is 1.151.346kb. Wasn't my custom kernel to be smaller? Initrd, on the other side, does differ: 1.560.576kb for the custom and 4.608.000kb for the stock k7. Custom takes less time to boot, but after that, it just seems like any kernel.
Any guidance?
Thanks!

Jaime Armendáriz Villalba wrote:

I've just had the same problem today. The solution has been, changing:

# CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX is not set

to is set

You will have to reboot, and there will be your /dev/psaux again