Re: missing gnome menu items

Seeker5528 wrote:

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:20:17 -0400
Angelo Bertolli <angelo@freeshell.org> wrote:

Thanks, I tried it out, but it still didn't seem to correct the problem. I am still missing gnome sessions and screensaver settings.

Usually the next steps I would take would be to check the file system
for errors. I keep a copy of System Rescue CD around for these kinds of
things:

http://www.sysresccd.org/

: check the man page for the fsck that is appropriate for your file
system fsck.ext2, fsck.ext3, reiserfsck, etc...:

man fsck.ext3

: shows you need the -f switch to force the disk to be checked even
if it is marked clean. After checking the disk the next thing would be
to install/reinstall packages that seem like they might be relavant, in
this case doing:

apt-get install --reinstall gnome-session xscreensaver xscreensaver-gl
gnome-control-center

If you are running sarge or etch then add capplets and capplets-data to
that list. If you are running sid add capplets-data and gnome-menus to
the list.

If that still doesn't do it my next temptation would be to purge
capplets-data and which ever other package is appropriate capplets or
gnome-menus and install them again doing something like:

dpkg --purge --force-depends capplets capplets-data

apt-get install capplets capplets-data
Thanks. I tried this, but it didn't help. Any other ideas? Where are the gnome menus kept?