parport0: BUSY timeout (1) in compat_write_block_pio

Hi,

Can anyone help me with resolving this error message I am getting in my
syslog:

-------8<--------
parport0: FIFO is stuck
parport0: BUSY timeout (1) in compat_write_block_pio
DMA write timed out
-------8<--------

I had noticed the message before, but not done anything as it didn't
appear to interrupt day-to-day use. Now however, I want to access some
old Iomega Zip disks via my parallel-port Zip drive, and it seems to be
a problem - when trying to `modinfo ppa`, dmesg says:

ppa: Version 2.07 (for Linux 2.4.x)
ppa0: failed to claim parport because a pardevice is owning the port for
too long time!

I'm running Debian testing with kernel 2.6.12-1-k7.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave.