Re: Can't login when using kdm (KDE)

check the sticky bit on /tmp. sometimed it loses the sticky bit during installs (IIRC) and then you can't log in.

andrew@basement:/$ ls -l | grep tmp
drwxrwxrwt   13 root root  2048 Sep  3 15:01 tmp
         ^--- you should have a t here.

chmod 1777 /tmp should do it.

NOTE: I have no idea what the rest of the permissions are supposed to be for /tmp, but this works for me.

rs wrote:

I moved ~.Xauthority out of the way and let it be recreated. Works for
me now.

Removed ~.Xauthority and tried to login via KDM. The ~.Xauthority file was recreated but it had the size of 0 bytes. Not sure why.

When I login via regular console first and then start KDE with "startx", the ~.Xauthority appears to have some valid info and everything works fine.

Thanks

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.