Re: Is NTFS file system (Win2k) stable and usable with debian sarge?

[Please include my email address in replies]

Hi Angelo,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just recently did away with my FAT32 "transfer" partition. Your system should be able to READ the NTFS filesystem fine. That allows you to pull files over, and then just delete them the next time you boot to windows. Supposedly deleting files is safe too (but not modifying or writing files), but that's only if you want to mount the NTFS partition in read-write mode, and it's safer not to. I think the way it works, is it marks the files somehow on the NTFS partition, and then Windows deletes them the next time it gets booted. (Maybe it runs chkdsk and gets rid of them?)

Sounds good, but sometimes I need to transfer big files from
debian->Win2K, but that means it might corrupt if things aren't quite
right just yet..

So I guess if I still need to copy data onto win2k partitions I had
better stick with the FAT32 partition, but then that limits me to 2GB
per file still :(

For the other direction there is explore2fs which works about the same way. It gives you a somewhat "ftp-like" interface to download files from your ext2/ext3 file system into windows. It doesn't allow you to delete or modify the ext2/ext3 partition. Then the next time you boot Linux you can remove those files if you want.

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

Looks good, I'll have to give that a try.

Kind regards
JG