Re: i got badblocks :-|

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 03:59:08PM -0400, Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> Roel Schroeven wrote:
>
> >cc wrote:
> >
> >>my hard disk run into badblocks,
> >>when i run a program which produce much disk activities,
> >>many messages will appear like this:
> >>
> >>"
> >>Info fld=0x2023f6a, Current sd08:03: sense key Medium Error
> >>Additional sense indicates Error too long to correct
> >> I/O error: dev 08:03, sector 24313706
> >>"
> >

> >I recommend you to backup your data ASAP and replace your harddisk.
> >When it starts to act like that, it is generally very close to total
> >failure.
>
> If you need a second opinion, I agree.  If you keep getting bad blocks,
> after checking and fixing them, your hard drive has reached the end of
> its life.

A Hard disk nowadays have *extensive* internal error-checking and
error-recovery coding so that it can recover your data even if
they have a few minor glitches.  When it expose their internal foibles
to the outside world, it indicates that the entire infrastructure
has become so bad that all this effort no longer suffices.  Your disk
is in danger of imminent total collapse.

-- hendrik