Re: non-free internet radio?

On Sunday 04 September 2005 20:05, Colin Andrews wrote:
> NooB Disclaimer:
> Though I've used unix/linux for many years, it's mostly been on servers or
> just bash/csh command line environments. I've just installed Sarge on a
> brand new system and I'm really liking it. I'm still a bit of a NooB when
> it comes to desktop related features (configuring X, watching DVDs...)
>
> Anyways... My question relates to internet radio feeds. Some of the
> stations I like to listen to over the internet actually offer feeds in
> formats that aren't a problem for linux (mp3, ogg) but most stations give
> you a choice between Windows Media Player and Real Player. I know that Real
> has a linux version of their player, but I'd rather not install it. Real
> player for windows always seems like total spyware, and it's totaly anoying
> with all ads & popups it puts up even if it isn't spyware.
>
> Is there a reasonable free/open source solution out there that will let me
> listen either of these stream types?

Mplayer [0] eats most stuff. In case you're very unlucky, you will be required
to fetch the non-free codecs. Instructions to install both (which are not
DFSG-free) follow:

Add Christian Marillats repository to your sources.list. Instructions on [1].
`aptitude update; aptitude install mplayer-586` (IIRC).

Regards, Anders Breindahl.

[0] http://mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/news.html