foomatic + Lexmark Z52 + lpr + gimp-print + Etch/Testing?

How do I do this?  I can't find any useful information (that solves
it) in the archives.  I don't want to use CUPS, and linuxprinting.org
says I don't need to.  I've installed all the gimp-print packages that
apt-cache search says there are, but can't for the life of me figure
out how to generate a PPD for the thing, or how to plug gimp-print
into the mix.

I booted into both KDE and Gnome looking for config apps that would do
it.  KDE was most promising, but complained that foo.xml
(/usr/share/foomatic/...) wasn't a valid driver.  I have managed to
find a Lexmark-Z52 driver in there, but no idea how to use it.

modconf is no help.  It just whinges and dumps me back at the command
line.

What's the magic dpkg-reconfigure incantation to use to tell lpr to
use gimp-print with a Z52?

Thanks.

    (*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling           Linux Counter #80292
    - -    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/autospam.html