Re: xorg + xinerama - but on an on-demand basis

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 03:46:45PM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> You could start two instances of the X server, each running one
> instance of gdm.  One would be running on vty7, one on vty8, and you
> could switch between them with Ctrl-Alt-F7 and Ctrl-Alt-F8.

I tried that.  It didn't work.  gdm detected that it was already running
and wouldn't atart again.

> I don't know how to tweak the gdm setup to start two of them.

Here's what did work for me.  Somewhere in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf you find a line

Replace it by

and you'll have three virtual consoles, each with its own gdm login prompt.
You'll probably have to restart gdm so it reads the configuration again.
Rebooting accomplishes this.

-- hendrik