Re: xorg + xinerama - but on an on-demand basis

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 03:46:45PM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> You could start two instances of the X server, each running one
> instance of gdm.  One would be running on vty7, one on vty8, and you
> could switch between them with Ctrl-Alt-F7 and Ctrl-Alt-F8.

I tried that.  It didn't work.  gdm detected that it was already running
and wouldn't atart again.

> I don't know how to tweak the gdm setup to start two of them.

Here's what did work for me.  Somewhere in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf you find a line

0=Standard

Replace it by

0=Standard
1=Standard
2=Standard

and you'll have three virtual consoles, each with its own gdm login prompt.
You'll probably have to restart gdm so it reads the configuration again.
Rebooting accomplishes this.

-- hendrik