Re: Switching to Debian (from Fedora)

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:29:55 +0200
Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> wrote:

> XFree86 has created licensing issues, which is the reason why xorg was
> started at all.

I remember things a bit differently.

X.org was started as a result of difficulties of developers to gain
admittance to the inner circle of XFree86 development and the glacial
time frame of patches submitted by non core develpers to make it into a
release. Efforts to improve the XFree86 development situation were too
little too late and the license change was a misguided effort to
maintain control and pushed more people to X.org leading it to become
what it is today.

If it had not been for the license change I think X.org would currently
be playing a more supplemental role to XFree86 rather than having
developed a complete replacement. It seems to me, without a change in
the attitude of XFree86 developers a fork would have happened anyway and
the licensing change just accelerated the forking process.

Later, Seeker