Re: Switching to Debian (from Fedora)

> * kernel 2.4.27 was installed in my box. It's been a suprise since in
> Fedora i'm running kernels 2.6.x. Why this 2.4 kernel? Does Debian
> consider 2.6 kernels unstable? I'd like to upgrade my kernel; how can i
> do it using apt-get?

I've wondered why a 2.4 kernel is installed by default as well when 2.6 has
been out for so long. It's easy to install a 2.6 kernel with apt though. It's
just like installing any other package. Grub (or lilo) will be updated
automatically in most cases.

> * I noticed too that Debian runs XF86 instead of Xorg, as Fedora does.
> Why this? What are the differences between them? Is video hw support
> better in Xorg? Are there any licensing issues with Xorg?

Try running testing or unstable on your desktop machine which will switch you
to Xorg. You will find them both generally quite stable. Stable in Debian is
very stable. Testing is, I would say, about the same as other distributions
releases. Unstable is quite workable and is what I and everyone I know uses.

A word of warning before you switch though. You might like to switch to
testing now and then to unstable in a couple of months. There are some big
changes coming though unstable at the moment with some breakage occurring.

> After running Debian in my mail server for some time, i think that it
> can be a really good choice for a production server, but what about
> desktop? For the moment, i think i'll keep Fedora... or maybe not, if
> someone gives me good reasons :)

See above. Debian unstable is as good for the desktop as any distribution that
I have used. If your a KDE person we should have KDE 3.4.2 in a month or two.
Gnome has just under gone an upgrade but damned if I know what to ;o)

Graham