Re: Switching to Debian (from Fedora)

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 11.31, Graham Smith wrote:
> > * I noticed too that Debian runs XF86 instead of Xorg, as Fedora does.
> > Why this? What are the differences between them? Is video hw support
> > better in Xorg? Are there any licensing issues with Xorg?
>
> Try running testing or unstable on your desktop machine which will switch
> you to Xorg.

xorg is not in testing yet, unstable only.

I'm using it and I'm not having big problems (see the G550 thread I started,
but that's certainly not Debian specific.)

XFree86 has created licensing issues, which is the reason why xorg was
started at all.  By the point where xorg was usable, The sarge release was
expected Anytime Now(tm), so it was decided to release sarge with xf86
instead of trying to rush in xorg.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Beware of the FUD - know your enemies. This week
    * Patent Law, and how it is currently abused. *