Re: support for nvidia nforce2?

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 01:55:32PM +0200, Dominique Dumont wrote:
> Bruno Buys <brunobuys@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >    I'm considering buying an abit with nforce2 chipset. How does Debian
> > play with it? Any experiences? Another option would be the kt600
> > via-based boards. Is nforce2 worth the trouble, if any?
>
> Nforce2 boards runs well (I've an a7n8x deluxe).

I have an A7N8X-X running Debian sarge.  Quite reliably,
except for almost everything relating to the USB ports.
I've been wondering if this is a hardware or software problem.
Does anyone else have experience with this board?  What kernel
do you use?  Did discover discover everything or did you have to
override?  Of so, how?

I've *never* managed to get the USB ports to work reliably.
USB thumb drives don't work at all.  MP3 players don't work at all
(I'm talking about those that pretend to be standard USP hard disks).
All these work fine on another machine, in either sarge or Windows.
The other machine does NOT have an NVidia chipset (but does have
an NVidia graphics card).

A 200GB IDE drive in a USB enclosure?  Got one of these.  It works
for a few minutes, then conks out.  I get to partition it and create
a Reiser file system on it, but when I start transferring bulk data
to it, it stope working.  Same drive works fine with NTFS on Windows.
But it might be the USB enclosure at fault, not the PC, because it
fails when plugged in to the other sarge machine I mentioned above.
MAybe it's not within spec, but Windows doesn't happen to pay attention
to that piece of spec either.  The IDE drive within it is fine.
After I removed it from the USB enclosure, and connected it
directly as an IDE drive, I could do all the things I couldn't through
the UBS enclosure.

By the way, I also have an Alphasmart, which interfaces to the computer
as a USB keyboard.  It works *perfectly*.  It recognised the my Debian
PC as an Apple Macintosh.  I guess recent Macs *are* more like Linux
systems than Windows.

The store wants me to try this out on my own machine in Windows.  They say
that way they'll know if it's really a hardware problem.  But Windows ME
won't install (I have a partition free for it).  It says the "drive"
(i.e., partition) is not formatted corectly for it to install.  But
letting it format the partition reveals no problems, except that after
it successfully formats it, it still complains that it is not formatted
correctly.  I suspect, though that this really *is* a partitioning
problem, not a motherboard problem.

-- hendrik