Re: Problem Playing Movie Trailers & Clips

Nick wrote:

<posted & mailed>

Debian User Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

Using Sarge stable with RealPlayer 10 Gold.  Can play audio/video files
with realplayer on all sites but
can't play movie trailers or clips(wmv format) on any site.

mplayer and xine will play wmv files.  mplayer has a plug-in for browsers
Had these installed but just noticed that the mplayerplug-in*.so
files are now missing. Still have the mplayerplug-in*.xpt files. Reinstalled
mozilla-mplayer and got mplayerplug-in.so back in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
but not the other shown below:
  mplayerplug-in-gmp.so
  mplayerplug-in-qt.so
  mplayerplug-in-rm.so
  mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
These may have come from a sid version but were still in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins after purging and installing the stable versions. I even copied the -wmp one to
~/.mozilla/plugins Ran mplayer on a Yahoo trailer with this result:
ChatagnierL-Home:/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins# mplayer http://us.rd.yahoo.com/movies/top/noteworthy/thebrothersgrimm/?http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/thebrothersgrimm.html mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libaa.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory ChatagnierL-Home:/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins# Not sure what this is telling me. Wajiged everything I knew and apt-cached searched libaa.so.1; didn't show anything.

too.

Have tried my.yahoo.com, cnn.com and movie.com
and all I get is the usual player screen with a black background and "no
picture" in parenthesis in the center
of the player screen.  Have run media helper or change settings on the
sites that they're available and get the same
no picture whether selecting windows media player, realplayer or quick
time.  Have visited the Helix and Sourceforge
sites trying out all suggestions and installation tips with no success.
I think I have all the necessary plugins and codecs.

Have you installed the win32 codecs from Christian Marillat?  Add this to
your /etc/apt/sources.list:
Yes, the w32codecs are installed and I have the mirror listed in
sources.list