Re: OT: Electoral College [Re: U.S. federal income tax program]

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 11:14:24AM +0800, Katipo wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>
> ><big snip>
> > It would be better if all states did that, if only
> >because it provides a more accurate reflection of what the people want
> >without allowing sudden changes in the public mood to unduly affect
> >election results.
> >
> Any government, that usurps the right of an individual to: make his/er own
> decision on his own personal existence; to make the wrong decision; and to
> suffer by it, is not a democratic institution, and fails in its function
> immediately.

First off, it would be nice if more people held that view.  Maybe then
we would not be suffering at the hands of liberals and neo-cons that
think that the only way to accomplish anything is with a bigger
government that dictates people's personal lives to them.

That said, the issue is not the usurpation of the individual's right to
decide.  The electoral process provides a moderating effect.  Please
examine what happened in Spain after their 3/11 bombing.  All it took
was a small minority of people shifting to completely change their
election results.  Note, I am not saying that simply because the results
did not meet expectations they should be suspect.  However, the issue
has been the subject of some study and the generally accepted concensus
is that a relatively small number of voters caused a nationwide change.

Can this still happen in the U.S.?  Absolutely.  Is it nearly as simple?
No way.  You would need a consiberably larger number of people placed in
a number of key districts and states to make it happen.  The point is
that what happened to the Spanish elections resulted from people making
rash emotionally charged decisions, which is something you don't want.
As much as politicians and campaign managers want to emotionally charge
the issues, the best thing is have people carefully consider and think
through the issues.

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez