OT: Electoral College [Re: U.S. federal income tax program]

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 05:50:48PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sunday 28 August 2005 04:51 pm, John Hasler wrote:
>
> > > 20% approval ratings from it's own citizens.  That speaks fathoms about
> > > how trustworthy the US government is right now.
> >
> > Those are the same citizens who elected George Bush.  Their opinions are
> > irrelevant.
>
> That's not how it works.  Only 537 people are allowed to vote for president in
> the United States, and their votes are not legally bound to the popular vote
> for the state they represent in most states.  Americans cannot vote for their
> own president.

That's like saying that American's don't get to pass their own laws
since only 537 people can initiate/vote on federal legislation.  The
electoral college has a very specific purpose, to prevent the mob rule
from swaying election results.  Not to say that what the people
want/think is unimportant, because it is.  However, if we had direct
popular election of the President, we would have a situation where the
candidates would only need to campaign in the most populous/densely
populated areas.  Places with small and/or sparse populations would be
marginalized.  It already happens to a certain degree today, but not
nearly as bad is if we had direct popular election.

Personally, however, I like how Nebraska (and I forget the other state)
does it.  They split the state's electoral votes by the percentage of
popular vote.  It would be better if all states did that, if only
because it provides a more accurate reflection of what the people want
without allowing sudden changes in the public mood to unduly affect
election results.

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez