Re: SHould I bother configuring xfree?

Hendrik Boom wrote:
On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 02:10:40PM -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

Hendrik Boom wrote:

I have a machine with two sarges on it -- one was installed
as a sarge system, the other as a woody, and upgraded.  But
xfree did not survive the upgrade -- and when I boot that one,
X does not come up (everything fin on the other one, though).
Now my plan is to take the one I upgraded from woody (the one
where X does not work) and further upgrade it to etch.

(a) Should I bother getting X to work before upgrading to etch --
after all, isn't xfree being replaced by x.org?

Probably not. If you are planning to upgrade to x.org anyway, then you need not worry about configuring xfree86 properly.

However if you were not able to get it up and running with xorg then there is a problem. You have to downgrade the system to xfree86 and try your stunts with that.

If I were you, I would first post information about the video card and see if someone else is already able to run x.org with it. If the answer is yes, then just upgrade to xorg and configure X there. If the answer is no, then it is probably good idea to get xfree86 up and running first.

It works fine with the *other* copy of sarge I have on the machine, which
will remain my stable, production system, so I'm not too worried..
In theory I could just copy the config and the list of kernel modules
and the like.  But I suspect that will all be blown away by x.org
anyway.

I think, that's the easiest - as xorg uses the existing xfree86 config to generate the x.org config :)

HTH,

Joris