SHould I bother configuring xfree?

I have a machine with two sarges on it -- one was installed
as a sarge system, the other as a woody, and upgraded.  But
xfree did not survive the upgrade -- and when I boot that one,
X does not come up (everything fin on the other one, though).
Now my plan is to take the one I upgraded from woody (the one
where X does not work) and further upgrade it to etch.

(a) Should I bother getting X to work before upgrading to etch --
after all, isn't xfree being replaced by x.org?

(b) Are there any other relics from woody I should take care of
before the next upgrade?  Such as perhaps things likd discover,
udev, ...?  Or will the next upgrade take care of all this
automagically?

-- hendrik