Re: U.S. federal income tax program

%% Sam Rosenfeld <sam1@speakeasy.net> writes:

  sr> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Paul Smith wrote:

  >> What exactly are you looking for?

  sr> Something with the features of TurboTax or TaxAct or Kiplinger,
  sr> etc.  All the commercial ones do whatever I need, with only
  sr> stylistic differences distinguishing among them.

What I mean is, do you just need help computing and filing your taxes
for the year, or are you looking for tax planning as well?

  >> There are a large number of 100% web-based tax programs available.
  >> These work very well on Linux.

  sr> Do any of the "web-based tax programs" provide in a Linux
  sr> environment what the programs listed above do.  If so, one
  sr> reference or link would be sufficient for me.

To be honest I don't remember all the features that these programs have.
I think it would be easier for you to go check them out and see, than
for me to list the features here.

All the companies you mention above are now providing fully-functional
versions of their tax software via the web:

    http://www.turbotax.intuit.com/welcome/internalcobrand/livepost.htm?source=turbotaxcom
    http://www.taxcut.com/tcforweb/index.html
    http://www.taxact.com/

It's web-based which means you don't run any program on your system.
All the tax information and programming lives on the web server and your
browser is just that... a browser.  So, unless these web sites don't
support standard HTML and require IE-only extensions like ActiveX, you
can use them from ANY operating system that has a compliant browser:
Linux, Mac OS, even Solaris etc.  I used one of these (forget which!)
last year from Linux with FireFox and it worked great... I can only
imagine that with the market share FireFox has gained since then it will
be as good or better next year.

You can also go through the IRS web site and use much more limited, but
still functional, versions of these programs for FREE.  They don't store
your tax data, though, so you have to re-enter it all the next year.  Of
course some people would consider that an advantage :-).

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@nortel.com>           HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
        These are my opinions--Nortel takes no responsibility for them.