Re: Can't install Sarge on an HP NetServer

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 03:46:39PM +0200, marco_elen wrote:
> Then I launched apt-get dist-upgrade.
> After a few question, it apt-get finished.
> Then I rebooted the machine.
> And... THE SYSTEM HANGS.
> It just write "LI" (maybe it starts to write LILO?) and hangs :(

This is Lilo's way of telling you which part of the booting succeeded.
The lilo manual should be able to explain what is wrong when only LI
is printed.  With `man lilo' you can find the following, which is at
least the beginning of an answer, though it may not immediately solve
your problem:

  BOOT ERRORS

  The boot process takes place in two stages.  The first stage loader is
  a single sector, and is loaded by the BIOS or by the loader in the
  MBR.  It loads the multi-sector second stage loader, but is very space
  limited.  When the first stage loader gets control, it types the
  letter "L"; when it is ready to transfer control to the second stage
  loader it types the letter "I".  If any error occurs, like a disk read
  error, it will put out a hexadecimil error code, and then it will
  re-try the operation.  All hex error codes are BIOS return values,
  except for the lilo-generated 40, 99 and 9A.  A partial list of error
  codes follows:

> Would adding all 7 Woody CDs and all the 14 Sarge CDs make the
> installation and upgrade process work?

If apt-get finished without complaining that some packages still
needed to be installed, then I would say that feeding it more cds
won't work.

Public GnuPG key:  http://maurits.vanrees.org/var/gpgkey.asc
"It can seem like you're doing just fine,
but the creep's creeping into your mind." - Neal Morse