Re: Nagios : need some advice

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 12:36:29PM +0000, nicolas.kosmalski@alemtid.asso.fr wrote:

>  - Do i need to use another monitoring software?

I depends on what you want to monitor and what your boss wants to see.

I recently started using munin in addition to nagios and other
monitoring software and I am impressed with the ease of installation.
I have not fully mastered it yet, but it is already very usefull and
helped me to identify a misconfiguration on one of my servers.

> If i do so, i change my check_normal_interval for all my service in the
> service configuration file. And maybe i must change another option (but
> what options?) and is nagios will be happy to do as i want?

Every 10 seconds can put a lot of load on your network connections
especially if you monitor a lot of services and servers.  I would
certainly not do that for most of the servers/services.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved,
      what manner of persons ought ye to be? You ought to
      live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the
      day of God and speed its coming."
                                II Peter 3:11,12