Nagios : need some advice

Hello,

I'm new user of nagios, and i'm not sure of everything i want to do.
All is ok, but my boss (he give me a lot of trouble!) want to nagios do
the service check faster (every 10second for example).
So a lot of question come into my too small head :
 - Do i need to use another monitoring software?
 - Is MRTG(i'm think now it has a new name) could be useful for me?
 - Is this setup could be interressant for me :
        In the main configuration file, the unit of time is set to 10sec :
          timing_interval_lenght = 10
        And the update of status :
          status_update_interval = 10
If i do so, i change my check_normal_interval for all my service in the
service configuration file. And maybe i must change another option (but
what options?) and is nagios will be happy to do as i want?

Say me if you think that my idea is not so bad.
thanks.
                                 nk.