Re: Can't install Sarge on an HP NetServer

On (25/08/05 11:27), Raquel Rice wrote:
> "marco_elen" <marco_elen@libero.it> wrote:
> > Finally after many tries and (actually unuseful) web searches I
> > could install Debian on an HP NetServer LH4. As suggested by
> > Raquel I simply installed Woody booting with "vanilla". I
> > installed only the base system from the first cd.
> >
> > Now I have to upgrade to Sarge.
> > Can I do it simply with apt-get dist-upgrade ?
> > Will this remove the old kernel and replace with a kernel that
> > won't work ? (I'm afraid I'll encounter the same SCSI problem I
> > experienced while trying to install Sarge, but can anyone please
> > tell if I'm wrong?)
>
> The upgrade "manual" suggests using aptitude dist-upgrade and doing
> the kernel upgrade in a separate step.  After upgrading to Sarge, I
> later upgraded the kernel on the server to 2.4.27 and all went well.
>  But keep your old kernel around ... just in case.  ;-)
>
> BTW ... I'm booting off the SCSI drive too.

I've got an LH3 also upgraded to sarge recently (from an original woody
install) and upgrading with aptitude worked flawlessly.  I also had a
couple of LHPro200's which I've now given away but the last one also
upgraded to sarge without a problem.  The all booted off the SCSI RAID
drives.

Regards

Clive

--