Re: Can't install Sarge on an HP NetServer

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:41:25 +0200
"marco_elen" <marco_elen@libero.it> wrote:

> OK!!!
>
> Finally after many tries and (actually unuseful) web searches I
> could install Debian on an HP NetServer LH4. As suggested by
> Raquel I simply installed Woody booting with "vanilla". I
> installed only the base system from the first cd.
>
> Now I have to upgrade to Sarge.
> Can I do it simply with apt-get dist-upgrade ?
> Will this remove the old kernel and replace with a kernel that
> won't work ? (I'm afraid I'll encounter the same SCSI problem I
> experienced while trying to install Sarge, but can anyone please
> tell if I'm wrong?)
>
> Best regards,
> Marco Ballini

The upgrade "manual" suggests using aptitude dist-upgrade and doing
the kernel upgrade in a separate step.  After upgrading to Sarge, I
later upgraded the kernel on the server to 2.4.27 and all went well.
 But keep your old kernel around ... just in case.  ;-)

BTW ... I'm booting off the SCSI drive too.

--
Raquel
It is very nearly impossible ... to become an educated person in a