Re: Network card recommendation

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> My firewall is continuing to run reliably - of course.  I have noticed
> that on of the 3com NICs, I have a single RX overrun reported.  Just one
> - no errors, and no increases in the overrun number.

Which 3com model exactly? (lspci output, please).

That said, once-every-year errors like these are not worth bothering with.
Maybe something stalled your kernel and the buffer overloaded for that
packet.

I got a lot of overrun errors (plus frame errors) in a machine that has five
3c905B.  Before kernel 2.6.11, I would get a ton of "too much work on
interrupt" errors as well.  This is the reason why I prefer the 3c905CX
(slightly better behaviour) and Intel e1000 (I never managed to cause it to
drop packets)...

  Henrique Holschuh