Re: making backup using rsync in home LAN

Apparently, _Jiann-Ming Su_, on 24/08/05 13:15,typed:
> On 8/24/05, H. S. <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>As I said, the laptop is not always on so most of the backups will be
>>skipped. To avoid that, I am looking for a script to call on the laptop.
>>A user can just call that script and a backup will be done on the backup
>>server (my Testing box).
>>

> How do you run the backup script when it boots into Linux?

My Debian Testing box is always on. A cron job calls the backup script
periodically.

>>And by "mount NTFS" you mean use samba(afterall, the laptop is a remote
>>machine)?
>>

>   $ mount
>   /dev/hdb1 on /mnt/xp type ntfs (ro)
>
> /etc/fstab:
>
>     /dev/hdb1       /mnt/xp         ntfs    ro              0       0
>
> It mounts as a read-only filesystem when Linux boots.  In your script
> to back up your Linux partition, add the NTFS partition as well.

I misunderstood you the first time. I see what you mean now. Just a
little clarification: my rsync server is my Debian Testing on a P4
desktop. Backups works perfectly on this machine. I am trying to
implement a method with which the Testing desktop would backup certain
directories on a laptop on my home LAN running Windows XP (and the save
the backups on the Testing desktop).

--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.