apt-move and debootstrap: stable vs sarge

Title: apt-move and debootstrap: stable vs sarge

I am running sarge and am trying to run debootstrap from an apt-move repository.  I first noticed that apt-move chose to name the release stable rather then sarge.  So within debootstrap(0.2.45-0.2), I created /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/stable (based on sarge).

Now when I run this command, I receive the following error:

#> debootstrap stable <chrootdir> file:///packages/debian
I: Retrieving debootstrap.invalid_dists_stable_Release
I: Validating debootstrap.invalid_dists_stable_Release
E: Invalid Release file, no entry for main/binary-i386/Packages

I noticed that the string "debootstrap.invalid" is hardcoded in the /debootstrap/functions:apt_dest routine.  Rather then try and track this down any further, I thought I'd just ask.

What steps should I have followed?
Where did I go wrong?
What should I do now to recover?

Any thoughts at all are appreciated.  Thank you for your time

Rich