Re: KDE vs GNOME

Leonardo Sá:

> Like most first-time debian users, i started using gnome, mainly because it
> was the "default" option when i did my first graphical login. After I got
> used to the system (i was a slackware user) i noticed things getting slow.
> Apart from firefox, which eats no less than 50mb out of my memory, gnome
> seems to consume a lot of memory too. And I wonder why they choose KDE to be
> default in the Knoppix live cd.

I don't know for sure, but I think one reason is that the underlying
libraries of gnome are a little bit "more free" (the qt libraries which
KDE uses have until recently been non-free under Windows). Gnome is
also part of the GNU project. You might have noticed than Debian calls
itself GNU/Linux... So I guess it is a mixture of historical and mainly
political reasons.

> Is KDE faster than GNOME?

Generally: no. But I am using neither one, so again I am not sure.

> I really need a good looking desktop without
> taking up that much resources...

Maybe you should give Xfce4 a try. It uses the gnome libraries (namely
gtk), but is quite fast and slim. You should still be able to use
nautilus and all those fancy system administration tools that gnome
comes with (if you like to use them).

J.
--
Looking into my eyes is the only way you'll know I'm telling the truth.
[Agree]   [Disagree]