Re: Switching to Debian (from Fedora)

Hendrik Boom wrote:

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 08:43:23AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
I would recommend duplicating the Stable lines, rather than replacing
them. Then replace the "stable" or "sarge" in the first (top) set with
your release of choice.

This way, the system can fall back to packages in Stable if it (or you)
need(s) to.

If you do this, it will pick the stable package is there is no testing
package available.

Yes, this is what I meant. If package 'foo' in unstable is dependent on 'bar' which is not in unstable but is in stable, you may still be able to install 'foo' using stable's version of 'bar' as the dependency.

 But taking out the lines containing "testing"
won't give you a downgrade if you decide you want to go back.
Downgrading isn't so easy.
This is not what I meant, but I'm glad you mentioned it since I failed to make myself clear.

Also, don't change the "security" line; leave it at stable.
testing doesn't get the so-called security upgrades, which are
carefully chosen upgrades for stable to maintain security while
changing as little as possible.  Testing gets lots and lots
of updates instead.

It's my understanding that because of their high-priority nature, security updates go into Stable even before they sometimes make it into Testing (or perhaps, Unstable?). So a Testing system with the stable security line is more likely to get patched more quickly than waiting for the normal influx of packages into Testing.

My understanding may very well be amiss, however.

--
Kent