Still no joy with the Kyro card.

I'm still having no luck with my Hercules card.
I' trying to turn an old Windows machine into an X-terminal
kind of thing that can connect to one of the big, fast
machines I have around the house.

Unfortunately, it has a PCI Hercules Kyro card, which works
great under Windows, but only in text mode for Linux.

I'm starting to think my only alternative is to replace
the PCI Hercules card with some even more ancient
PCI graphics card, which I'm reluctant to do, because
its acceleration makes ancient Windows games at least a little
usable.

But it has always puzzled me why I can't even get it to
work in nonaccelerated frame-buffer mode with Linux...
One of the problems, of course, is that it's not an SVGA card,
or even a VGA card, but. so I have heard, and EGA card.
But Mandrake has managed to put a nice graphical image on
it during booting (although it never got X up either), so
I presume the necessary technical knowledge must exist somewhere!

The discussion has gotten this far last July.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 05:02:44PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 08:25:58PM +0200, wim wrote:
> >
> > Are you using udev?
>
> I'm using whatever Debian sarge installed by default just three days ago.
> How do I find out whether I'm using udev?

This should be easy, but how do I find out?  Does sarge do it
by default these days on a new install?  If so the answer would
be yes.