Re: Can't create .Xauthority for users

> On Thursday 18 August 2005 16:26, Haines Brown wrote:
> > I'm setting up a new machine with 2.6.8-2-686 kernel on sarge. Things
> > seem to be working except for one thing: Users can't start the x
> > server (root has no problem).
> >
> > When user does startx, the nVidia splash screen appears momentarily,
> > but I'm thrown back to the console. The startx messages only say that
> > .Xauthority is being created. However, no .Xauthority shows up in the
> > user's home directory.
>

> Did you put the user(s) in the group "video"?

Cláudio,

No, because /dev/nvidia0 and /dev/nvidiactl are owned by root:root,
and are rw-rw-rw-. This is the way the driver installation script set
things up, although I think putting users into a video group and
giving the device files to root:video is a cleaner approach.

Things are working now, thanks.

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM