Re: Hardware issues

Or you could fetch a live CD from http://www.ubuntulinux.org/.

While I like Knoppix and used it several times in the past, I find the
hardware support of Ubuntu to be better - Knoppix is good, but Ubuntu
produced better results for the odd hardware I tried to detect in the past.

Ubuntu is also based on Debian ...

Cheers,
Frank

David Goodenough wrote:

>On Thursday 18 August 2005 23:33, kirkby@quadro.net wrote:
>

>> Hi, I am wondering if it is possible to use Debian as my OS and be able to
>>get my soundcard [Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer-24bit] and TV-Tuner
>>card [ATI TV Wonder-Pro] to work. Have tried simplyMepis and now Mandrake
>>10 and can't get them to work. There is an ALSA driver that suppossedly
>>works for my soundcard. I suppose the best solution would be to invest in a
>>soundcard and TV tunercard that include a Linux driver, but can't reaaly
>>afford them right now. Was until recently using XP-PRO with which all
>>worked well. I made a lot of DVD's. Would like to continue doing that
>>without the expense and hassles of Microsoft products:eg. if you erase
>>hard-drive you get major hassles trying to get the product key accepted
>>again! So thought Linux and Debian in particuliar to be an alternative
>>suited to me. But only if I can get all my cards working as well as being
>>able to record and edit video files [MPEG-2 from several sources] as I had
>>before. My videocard [ABIT R9600XT-V10/ with ATI chip] is working fine at
>>least, and ATI does make a Linux driver [which I didn't need to install]
>>for some of their newer cards but not the TV Wonder. So would hope there is
>>some software available for DVD production available as well. But the main
>>thing now is whether I can get the above mentioned cards to work. Hope you
>>can advise. Yours' Sincerely John.                       kirkby@quadro.net
>>        [Stratford ON Canada]
>>

>Try getting a copy of Knoppix, and try running that on your PC and see if
>it can handle all of your hardware.  Knoppix runs from CD so you will not
>damage your existing setup just in trying it.  Knoppix is also Debian based
>so if Knoppix can drive your hardware then almost certainly Debian can
>be made to.
>
>David

Frank Guthorel

T : 09/329.49.38 - G : 0495/105.776