Re: Hardware issues

On Thursday 18 August 2005 23:33, kirkby@quadro.net wrote:
>  Hi, I am wondering if it is possible to use Debian as my OS and be able to
> get my soundcard [Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer-24bit] and TV-Tuner
> card [ATI TV Wonder-Pro] to work. Have tried simplyMepis and now Mandrake
> 10 and can't get them to work. There is an ALSA driver that suppossedly
> works for my soundcard. I suppose the best solution would be to invest in a
> soundcard and TV tunercard that include a Linux driver, but can't reaaly
> afford them right now. Was until recently using XP-PRO with which all
> worked well. I made a lot of DVD's. Would like to continue doing that
> without the expense and hassles of Microsoft products:eg. if you erase
> hard-drive you get major hassles trying to get the product key accepted
> again! So thought Linux and Debian in particuliar to be an alternative
> suited to me. But only if I can get all my cards working as well as being
> able to record and edit video files [MPEG-2 from several sources] as I had
> before. My videocard [ABIT R9600XT-V10/ with ATI chip] is working fine at
> least, and ATI does make a Linux driver [which I didn't need to install]
> for some of their newer cards but not the TV Wonder. So would hope there is
> some software available for DVD production available as well. But the main
> thing now is whether I can get the above mentioned cards to work. Hope you
> can advise. Yours' Sincerely John.                       kirkby@quadro.net
>         [Stratford ON Canada]
Try getting a copy of Knoppix, and try running that on your PC and see if
it can handle all of your hardware.  Knoppix runs from CD so you will not
damage your existing setup just in trying it.  Knoppix is also Debian based
so if Knoppix can drive your hardware then almost certainly Debian can
be made to.

David