Re: File Permissions: Allow write, but not modify

On 8/19/05, Niklas Schönberg <niko@grinda.fi> wrote:

> Chris Purves wrote:
> > Is it possible to set up a directory so that a user can add a new
> > file, but once the file is there the same user cannot modify, rename,
> > or delete the file?
> >
> > The shared directory is a samba share, and will only be accessed
> > through windows, so solving this problem through samba is just as
> > good.
>
> How about setting "create mode 0000" and "directory mode 0000" for the
> share in the smb.conf file. Or the modes to 0444 and 0555, if you want
> the files to be readable. I have not specificly tested this method for
> this purpose, but it should work.

Yes, this method worked the best for me.  In samba I set directory
mode to 0755, allowing users to add files and directories and set
create mode to 0444 so that once a file was written it cannot be
modified.  So far, this is working well, with the only drawback that
the only way to make any changes to the files is as root.

I found that samba 3.0.2 will have an "inherit owner" option which I
will employ once released.  Then I should ge able to set directory
permissions to 775 and file permissions to 744.  That should allow
members of the group (regular users) to add files, but not move or
modify, and a seperate owner account for making any changes when
necessary.

Thanks for your help.

--
Take care, eh.